Qualifications for Recruit Candidates
- Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Minimum age 19 years
- Grade 12 education or equivalent.
- Medically suitable for the occupation, including meeting minimum vision and hearing requirements
- Physically fit, able to pass the POPAT (Police Officers’ Physical Abilities Test) and such other occupation-related physical testing as may be required
- Valid Class 5 British Columbia driver’s licence (or equivalent) with a responsible driving history
- Valid First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation Certificates which will not expire for at least eight months from the application date. An eight-hour first aid course is sufficient.
- Good moral character, capable of passing background investigation/security clearance. Please note that applicants will not be considered for employment while facing criminal charges or charges under another federal statute. Applicants must not have been convicted of a criminal offence or charged under another federal statute unless a pardon has been granted.
- 30 credits or more of post-secondary education from an accredited college or university in any academic discipline is desirable, but heavy consideration will be given to other training received and life skills in lieu of post-secondary education. Such training and skills must be verifiable.
- Volunteer or work experience in a law enforcement-related field (e.g. Victim Services Worker, Reserve/Auxiliary Constable, Community Crime Prevention Program volunteer, Sheriff, Corrections worker, CBSA Enforcement Officer, active security positions involving conflict resolution, etc)
- Knowledge of a second language or culture
- Work experience involving a position of responsibility and/or involving significant interaction with the public in challenging circumstances.
- Other accomplishments