The Youth Liaison Officer focuses primarily on the Port Moody Middle School and our two secondary schools. The goals of the YLO are to:
- provide a safe learning environment for students and staff;
- prevent crime and enhance community safety through education;
- promote police as an accessible community service;
- eliminate barriers between youth and police;
- increase the communication and cooperation of school staff with the Port Moody Police Department;
- investigate offences associated to schools; and
- promote policing as a career.
To support these goals our Youth Liaison Officer:
- delivers safety and crime prevention presentations to students, staff, and parents;
- provides support systems when required;
- enhances the safety and security of the school;
- investigates criminal offences related to the school; and
- serves as a liaison between the school and the criminal justice system.
Our YLO is also involved in a number of initiatives which are not enforcement-related such as: Cops for Cancer, grade 12 legal class discussions, school dances, graduation events, etc.
If you have any questions about our Youth Liaison Officer and the services provided, please do not hesitate in calling: 604-461-3456. You can follow Cst. Degoey on twitter! @CstRobD